Drunk Driving Accidents In Maryland
More than 10,000 people lose their lives in motor vehicle accidents involving drunk drivers every year in the United States. Although most drunk driving accidents happen during the evening hours and on weekends, they can occur anytime a driver makes the choice to operate a motor vehicle while intoxicated. Although drunk drivers can be held criminally accountable for their actions, the Law Office of Melvin L. Allen, Jr. is committed to holding drunk drivers financially responsible for the injuries and damages they cause with their irresponsible and thoughtless choice.
Some common signs that another driver sharing the road may be impaired include seeing them:
- Weaving in and out of traffic.
- Making erratic and unpredictable changes in speed.
- Swerving their vehicle even though no obstacles are present.
- Failing to turn on their headlights.
- Not using turn signals.
- Coming close to colliding with other vehicles sharing the road.
Although some impaired drivers are easy to spot, it is often too late to prevent a life-changing collision. If you were injured by an impaired driver, reach out to attorney Melvin L. Allen, Jr. in Riverdale Park as soon as possible to discuss your injury accident.
When Defects, Maintenance, And Construction Cause Collisions
Dangerous roadways have been the focus of both state and federal laws over the years. Laws are enacted to establish guidelines that construction companies must follow when designing and building roads across the state. These standards are created to dictate the grade levels, guardrail placements, and warning signs drivers see. Despite standards designed to keep vehicle occupants safe, we continue to see motorists seriously injured due to hazardous road conditions. Some of the most common construction and design defects include:
- Poor quality of materials/poor craftsmanship.
- Not adhering to the approved plans throughout the construction process.
- Improper drainage implemented, which leads to unsafe road surfaces.
- Inadequate skid resistance.
- Obstructions in visibility at crosswalks and intersections.
- Not having adequate signage.
- Improper implementation of guardrails.
- Sharp/hazardous curves.
Once road construction is complete, government agencies are charged with removing obstacles and debris in a timely manner. Sometimes, private companies are hired to perform these tasks. Companies must meet clearly-mandated safety and construction standards. Some of the most common road maintenance defects causing collisions include:
- Debris in roadways.
- Poorly maintained bridges.
- Missing, deteriorating, or malfunctioning signs or signals.
- Potholes in the road.
If you were injured in an accident caused by construction, poor maintenance, or a defect, contact the Law Office of Melvin L. Allen, Jr. to explore legal options available for you.
Common Injuries From Auto Accidents In Riverdale Park
Auto accidents can have a life-altering impact on a victim’s life. Every motor vehicle accident is different, and there are numerous ways a person can become injured. Many people involved in collisions suffer serious injuries that require extensive medical treatment, surgery, and therapy. Some of the most common injuries resulting from auto accidents in our area include:
- Traumatic Brain Injuries: Serious head injuries can be particularly debilitating for victims. The effects of TBIs are often lasting and can cause mental, physical, and emotional pain and suffering.
- Back and Neck Injuries: People involved in auto accidents are at serious risk of suffering back and neck injuries. This is particularly true in traumatic collisions. Many back and neck injuries require surgery and extended time to recover.
- Broken Bones: It is all too common for car accident victims to suffer broken arms, legs, wrists, and feet. These areas of the body are particularly vulnerable in collisions. This is especially true for motorcyclists and pedestrians who are injured in accidents caused by speeding and reckless drivers.
- Spinal Cord Injuries: Spinal cord injuries caused by auto accidents can lead to temporary or permanent paralysis, depending on the severity. Although the spinal cord is strong enough to support the human body, it is extremely delicate. Any sudden jerks to the spine or harsh blows can result in debilitating injuries.
- Injury to Internal Organs: When victims sustain puncture wounds in car crashes, these injuries can result in life-threatening internal organ damage. If these injuries are not tended to immediately, some can have fatal consequences.
- Facial Injuries: If a victim’s face strikes an airbag, a dashboard, steering wheel, or a window it can cause serious injuries to the bones in the face and jaw. Many facial injuries are accompanied by cuts, scrapes, and lacerations, which can be painful and lead to permanent scarring.
- PTSD, Anxiety, or Depression: The mental and emotional tolls of being involved in an accident are not to be underestimated. Being harmed in an accident can result in overwhelming anxiety, depression, and even posttraumatic stress. These injuries can have a debilitating impact on a person’s life and drastically affect their ability to recover.
- Death: Every year, more than 600 people lose their lives in auto accidents throughout our state. When victims lose their lives in accidents caused by reckless and negligent drivers, the Law Office of Melvin L. Allen, Jr. works to ensure families obtain the maximum amount of compensation available for their wrongful death.
Although there are many treatment options available for victims injured in auto accidents, they come at a substantial cost. For this reason, it is crucial that victims reach out to a knowledgeable auto accident attorney in Riverdale Park as soon as possible. Personal injury attorney Melvin L. Allen, Jr. works to help victims collect the maximum amount of compensation available for their legal claims while providing a personalized experience that will ensure that all of your questions are answered.
Law Office Of Melvin L. Allen, Jr. Is By Your Side
Every year, auto accidents have a dramatic impact on families throughout Prince George’s County. Though there is nothing that can be done to take away the pain and suffering victims and their families endure from these accidents, working with an aggressive and competent auto accident attorney in Riverdale Park ensures those harmed are able to move forward and get the justice and compensation they deserve from those who caused them harm.
Attorney Melvin L. Allen Jr. relies on his extensive experience to protect the best interests of victims who were harmed in collisions in Riverdale Park or anywhere in Prince George’s County. Our team at the Law Office of Melvin L. Allen, Jr. has years of experience representing victims and working to ensure they are in the best mental, physical, and financial position possible to move forward after being injured in an accident caused by the negligence of another person. Contact our auto accident attorneys in Riverdale Park today to schedule a case evaluation with our team to discuss legal options available for you.